About Sultanahmet

Sultanahmet Square.

The Obelisk. The plinth is decorated with bas-reliefs showing the life of Theodosius.

Reliefs of Theodosius and Arcadius on the pedestal of the the Obelisk. The Obelisk. The hieroglyphics commemmorate Pharoah Tutmosis III.

This column was transported by sea, and brought to its present site on a specially constructed road. According to an inscription, the column was erected in 32 days, with the help of scaffolding. The hieroglyphics depict the glory of Pharoah Tutmosis III, who had the obelisk constructed at the Temple of Karnak in Lower Egypt in 1547 B.C. In brief, the content of these hieroglyphics is as follows:

on the eastern side, "Tutmosis III, of the XVIII Dynasty, master of Upper and Lower Egypt, on the 30th anniversary of his reign, as conqueror of the seas and rivers, has erected this obelisk for countless anniversaries to come"; on the southern face, "With the strength and approval of the god Horus, Tutmosis," and, "Tutmosis, the all-powerful and all-just son of the Sun, ruler of Upper and Lower Egypt, has penetrated as far as Mesopotamia, at the head of his armies, has shown his might on the Mediterranean, and has fought great battles"; on the western face, "Tutmosis, son of the Sun, who bears the crowns of Upper and Lower Egypt on his brow through the strength, might, and wealth of Horos, after paying tribute to the god Amon-ra, built this work for his father, the god Amon-ra, that it may spread light like the rays of the sun to mankind"; on the northern face, "Tutmosis paid tribute to the god, determined to enlarge the borders of his country as far as Mesopotamia."


« BackAbout Sultanahmet - Page : 1 2 3 4   Next»

© 2007 Sultanahmet Fish House. All rights reserved. E-mail: info@sultanahmetfishhouse.com